Monday, January 29, 2007

Learning Java via TDD: An impressive approach


I have never been a fan of test-driven development. I think the concept is a curiosity that makes you write lots of throw-away code, while keeping lots of code that really doesn't test anything useful. But my most fundamental disagreement with TDD is that it is counter to the way people think. And part of the great joy of programming is building solutions, rather than building problems for the solutions to solve. For this reason, I think that many people who like TDD in the abstract eventually move back to a model of writing the code and immediately writing unit tests to exercise it. (This happens to be my model, but I didn't come to it via TDD. Rather, I adopted it because I became profoundly and deeply convinced of the value of lots of unit tests written immediately after coding.)

I've expressed this view before and would have held on to it unmodified had I not come across a terrific and unique Java tutorial: Agile Java by Jeff Langr. Forget the "agile" attribute. This is a book that teaches Java via TDD. And, it turns out, this is a very interesting way of doing things. How many times have we seen Java tomes start with "Hello World"? This one starts by teaching JUnit. And through JUnit, it teaches TDD, and then Java.

This approach, which is brilliantly original, has very distinct benefits: Firstly, readers are much more in tune with Java's verbose but unrevealing error messages. Rather than looking at a stack dump in disbelief, they're used to debugging and jumping in. Secondly, of course, they're used to testing and to writing code that is testable. The third and for me most important benefit is that this book cannot present Java in the usual way. (Such as: here's an inner class. Here's why you need it. Here's a code snippet. OK, now off to statics....) Rather, each chapter requires writing a mini-app that exercises the topics the author wants to present. So, you get to think about OO and Java, rather than merely learning language syntax.

The book also forces the reader to think about challenging testing issues. And I do mean challenging. It is the only text I've ever read anywhere that shows how to run a unit test on a log record written to the console. How would you solve that problem?

The only drawback is that the same topics are discussed in many different places throughout the book (each discussion amplifying earlier points), so you really can't use it as a reference after the fact. This is a small gripe, as there are plenty of Java references on line and in print.

I recently wrote a review of Java tutorials (before I knew about this book). Despite the many great titles I discuss in that article, if I were teaching a Java class today, this is definitely the book I would use. Bar none. And I don't even like TDD.

No comments: